Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The term RAD

 I would like to address something that has been brought to my attention.  In the circle of Reactive Attachment Disorder the term "RAD" is used freely in two contexts.  One of them is the stating the actual disorder.  For example "My daughter has RAD.".  The 2nd way it is used is as a way to quickly identify that the child you are writing about has RAD.  For example "My RAD is struggling at reading.".

It was said to me (by a RAD parent) that friends and family were put off by me using this term when referencing my daughter.  They felt it was wrong for me to identify her as her disorder.

 I assured the mom that I did not call my child "RAD", but used the term to distinguish her from other children...considering that was the point of the article.  I encouraged the mom to explain to her friends and family that it is no different than using the letters FD for foster daughter or AD for adopted daughter.  Obviously, it is used to help the reader identify all the needed information without me having to type it all out every time.

So to clarify, in case you were offended too, I do not use the term RAD in a derogatory way.  I do not call my daughter RAD.  And I use her name or the words "my daughter"  the majority of the time in my blog.  I am hopeful that this explanation has cleared up any ignorance about the term and I am confident that as I continue to use it, there will be no more confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment